Friday, April 11, 2014

Lazy Ox Canteen ~ Little Tokyo.... Do not waste your time

I have never really given a bad review but unfortunately my food experience at the Lazy Ox Canteen was horrible. There are many times at a restaurant where there may be 2 or 3 likeable items but not even salt and pepper could come to the rescue of these unsavory, bland, terrible dishes. The funny thing about it is that earlier in the day I had this funny gut feeling that I would not enjoy this place. I never have a hunch like this but I decided to have a positive outlook and give it a try. So here is the skinny, I am not a big fan of recommendations from co-workers (I know I sound snooty)but 10 times out of 10 I'm better off doing my own research or asking my fellow foodie friends what they recommend. When my guest and I first arrived (I drove past Baco Mercat and really wished we were stopping there lol) the decor looked amazing. It was hip and had that LA downtown feel to it. I thought to myself... this place looks like Restaurant Impossible came in here and did a make over. Well they need a food makeover!! I opened the menu and first thing I saw on the wine list was Roussanne!!?? Oh My Goddesses was I excited. No one carries Roussanne (wine). This place has to be delicious as I told myself. Wrong!! For an appetizer we ordered the Japanese Turnips with wild vegetable tempura and Lamb Meatballs. Sounds simple right? NO!! The Japanese Turnips were sour and had a pungent smell. All I kept thinking was this stuff is going to coat my tongue and everything will be ruined. The wild vegetable Tempura had no flavor. Tasted like flour that was deep fried. How can this be?? I actually rolled it in salt and it still had no flavor. Next came the lamb meatballs ($18) that were the size of a quarter (if that) that tasted like sugar and had a very bad after taste. I know lamb is gamey but geez this taste like OLD LAMB. At this point I was ticked off to say the least. Next came our entress.... Beef ragu with an over easy egg and Salmon (my guest dish). The ragu was worse than Chef Boyardee. The sauce was tangy and old and just had the jar taste to it. The Salmon had absolutely no flavor served with barley and rice cooked in water. Just gross. Yes its true you eat with your eyes but this was the first time I have ever been deceived where the food looked amazing, the decor and ambiance was amazing but the food was absolutely disgusting!!! At this point we spoke to our waitress who was just adorable and sweet. She offered me french fries because she knew I was hungry and deep down she knew the food was nasty. She also offered me dessert. Thank God for that dessert. I would never go back or recommend anyone to go here and Booooo to the co-worker (not my co-worker) for the recommendation.

No comments: