Wednesday, February 17, 2010

mirepoix-windsor, ca










Mirepoix is located in Windsor,California. Mirepoix was recommended to me by my wedding planner. I asked her for something romantic and cozy. Mirepoix is a house and has limited seating which I very much appreciated. I didn't want the hustle and bustle of a huge Valentines crowd and waiting forever for service. Mirepoix's restaurant is a mirror image of how I would want my restaurant to be, 8 tables or less and a small bar area for great wine. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the wine. I tried two different wines and they were disastrous. I noticed the chefs were drinking a bottle of rose. So I asked the waitress if that were available to drink and she said that they were finishing it because the previous guest didn't like it.
My one recommendation is to find a sommelier because their wine selection does not match the menu.
Mirepoix's prix fixe menu consisted of oxtail soup with beet foam, foie gras, duck, scallops and all the wonderful rich organic foods that wine valley has to offer.
My favorite was the dessert, rose water creme brulee. There was a perfect balance between the custard and the rose water. The rose water was not over powering and made the dessert feel light and beautiful. Everyone pretty much licked the sides of the ramekin. LOL...
I also enjoyed the oxtail soup, it reminded me very much of oxtail soup that my family makes. It was very comforting and savory. I wish I had a larger portion of the oxtail soup but it was just enough to quench my appetite. I have never enjoyed beets and this was the first time in my life where I could tolerate the flavor and not feel sick to my stomach. However, I could do without the foam personally. (That's more a personal opinion and experience due to the fact my mother forced me to eat it as a child with liver, yuck).

I'm still indecisive if I would come here again given that are so many restaurants to choose from. However, I loved the decor. The restaurant inspired me to make my own rose water creme brulee. I still have some in my wine fridge from France.

No comments: