Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cyrus- Healdsburg, Ca
















Cyrus- Wow!!! We arrived at 8p.m. and left a little after midnight. Although it was a eight course tasting menu, I know we ate more than eight courses over a four hour period. I was exhausted by the end of the meal but it was well worth the $$$$ and time. I have been wanting to go to Cyrus for over a year. I saw an episode of "In wine country" on what an amazing experience you will have at this restaurant. I was impressed by their caviar on the episode and the restaurants presentation.
The restaurant was also featured on Bravo's Top Chef reality show last season. The first time I called to make a reservation they were completely booked. When I called this year they were booked but we were placed on the waiting list and happened to get the time slot and day we requested. We were so happy and delighted that we finally were able to see if Cyrus was all show or really an amazing experience.
One of my favorite dishes that we tried was the Tasmanian Trout. I have never been impressed with regular trout but I fell in love. At first I thought it was a salmon or tuna but my taste buds were really off base. It melted in my mouth and was delectable. It was very light and had a fresh refreshing taste and made it a great starter dish.
I was also impressed with the Caviar. Although we ordered the least expensive caviar on the menu it was the greatest flavor I have ever tasted. It was fresh and had a light ocean flavor that wasn't too fishy. They paired it with a goat cheese but this was not any goat cheese. The Chef utilized a technique called gastronomy. The goat cheese appeared as a powder on your plate but as soon as you touched it, it turned into a soft cheese. It was awesome!!! Almost like a magic show.
I was also impressed with their artisanal cheeses. Our favorite was a blue cheese soaked in wine. By the time we got to the cheese pairings we were full but we made room and really loved their selection.
We had a lovely time at Cyrus and recommend that you splurge on a meal like this at least once in your life. From the wine selection to the desserts this Chef really makes food enjoyable. Just be prepared to eat for a really long time.
To finish the night we were provided with snacks to go in a beautiful Cyrus gift box. After I arrived home from our Napa trip I opened the box and chocolate brownies were wrapped beautifully. I couldn't imagine it tasting less than perfect. Since there was four, I ate 3 and gave the other one to my husband so he could at least try what I was bragging about.
Cyrus also gave us our menus which had our names written on the menu. It was a nice personalized touch.
This place will always have great memories and hope one day I can go again.

No comments: