Sunday, December 5, 2010

Splurge on Luxury Sushi at "Asanebo" in Studio City





I was craving Sushi and since I was in the Valley I decided to google Sushi in Studio City. Asanebo was the first name that appeared. The first thing I did was scroll down to see how many stars the restuarant had.
I read one Yelp review and someone said it was "Rilly Rilly good". For someone to deliberately misspell really, I thought to myself, It must be REALLY REALLY GOOD!
Let me say this first... Asanebo has two Michelin awards
and second... be prepapred to pay $$$$ (Top dolla, baht, Euro, dinero, yen)
As I have mentioned twice on previous blogs that Maru is my favorite sushi in all of California. Well Asanebo has pretty much taken over the reigns.
I don't know about how most people judge their sushi or sushi chefs but I am very critical before I casually eat at a sushi restaurant.
First, the sushi chef has to be Japanese. Second, if I am sitting at the sushi bar and if the sashimi is sloppy or too thick, I won't order from the bar. There is nothing more annoying than chewing a large portion of raw fish. The sashimi must be delicate and the sushi chef must take pride in their food.
Okay... back to my review ( I went on a rant there for a while :0) )

I called to make a reservation and they were completely booked but the sushi bar was open. When I sat down, I sat next to a guy that frequents the restaurant every Friday. He was able to make a few suggestions before paying his bill. He said everything is good and he spends 1/3 of his paycheck here at the restaurant. lol!
Before leaving he gave me a good tip, most of the dishes can be half orders which can save you a lot of money if you plan to try everything on the menu. In my case I can't help it.
If I am visiting a restaurant for the first time I do like to taste a lot of things so I know what to order for my next visit.
Unfortunately everything I tried (which was a lot) was exquisite. When I do return for my second visit I won't know what to settle for.
Asanebo has a lobster and black truffle sushi pairing that is so delicious that you plainly want to luxuriate in it.
I ordered a spinach salad with portabello mushrooms and I really didn't think much of it at first until I tasted the vinaigrette. (Lets just say I learned a little secret to my new dressings). I will no longer use olive oil.
I also tried the Sea bass with a creamy pink peppercorn sauce. I am now a new fan of Pink peppercorn. It explicitly heightens the flavors of any dish. It's almost like a light mint note.
They have also united kumoto oysters with caviar. How could that not be good?

I'm pretty sure by now you realize that this isn't your average sushi restaurant with Philadelphia Rolls, California Rolls or Spider Rolls.
The sushi at Asanebo is lavish, deluxe and rightfully splendid!

5 stars and two thumbs up!

No comments: