Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hatfield's







My friend Chef Ryan recommended this place several months ago but I wasn't able to fit the visit into my schedule until recently. I also saw the owners of Hatfield's on television last week which really compelled me to check out their establishment.
First and foremost the restaurant itself is simple and beautiful. Its not too small and not too large. The decor is really nice, simple and comfortable. There isn't a bad seat in the house. I love restaurants where you can see into the kitchen and watch everyone cook.
We ordered from the appetizer menu and I really enjoyed the croque madame (yellow tail sashimi, prosciutto, sunny side up quail egg on grilled brioche. The brioche was the most perfect brioche I have had. It was crispy but melted in your mouth. I hope that they keep this on their menu.
For dinner I decided to order from their prix fix menu so that I could enjoy multiple dishes instead of one.
Unfortunately I didn't write down all of the dishes. When I looked on their website I realized that the menu has already changed.

My first course was crab wrapped in a crepe. It was really savory but needed a touch of acid. They paired it with beets (not a personal favorite food of mine) but it seemed to work for the most part.
My next course I wasn't a fan of. I decided to be adventurous and try Skate Wing for the first time. I decided to google it and it looks like its apart of the Sting Ray family. Unfortunately it wasn't done right. I'm uncertain on how they prepared it but it tasted like it was boiled in water. It was overdone and mushy. It lacked texture, acid and flavor. They did however pair it with fried oysters but it didn't work for me. There was too much going on. I noticed it wasn't on the menu tonight. I'm hoping the next time I try Skate Wing that it will be prepared differently.
However, I enjoyed the short ribs. The short ribs were spoon tender and packed a lot of flavor in the entire dish. The potatoes were silky smooth and creamy.
For dessert they had a chocolate and peanut butter crunch. Awww so delicious.

A must try: Passion Fruit Pisco sour with egg white cocktail

Overall I had a great experience my waiter David was awesome. He made a lot of fantastic suggestions for wines and cocktails. He also suggested my appetizer, dessert and main entree. Thumbs up to the David who made my overall experience enjoyable.

No comments: