Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tropicana Bakery and Cuban Cafe- Downey, Ca




The other day I thought I was going to faint because I hadn't eaten all day. As I was sitting at a stop light I saw the Tropicana sign to the right of me and decided to stop in for lunch. Well I am certainly glad that I did. As I walked in I was greeted by a really pretty Cuban girl wearing a straw Havana hat. (Now I think I need to add a Havana hat to my wardrobe, lololol).
Whenever I try a new Cuban restaurant I usually will try their oxtails which is the indicating factor if I will return for a second visit. Well, it looks like I will be returning. Their oxtails were falling off the bone. Their black beans were some of the best that I have tried in a restaurant. They make their black beans the same exact way that I make my own. Garlic, onion, bay leaf and salt pork. They also had my favorite soda, Jupina (which is a pineapple soda). They also had some other things on their menu that I haven't seen at other Cuban restaurants so I am looking forward to bringing some of my friends.
At night they have a live band and entertainment while you eat and drink. The seating there is also really comfortable with leather chairs and couches in the bakery area. I can honestly say that this place is very inviting but also has a very classy look to it.
For a while I watched the pastry chefs make cakes and decorate desserts. This place was very impressive. They made all types of desserts such as tiramisu, flan, cookies, breads and potato balls.
There was also a really nice lunch crowd. If you are single this is the place to be. :-)

No comments: