Monday, January 4, 2010

Jean Georges Steakhouse-Las Vegas
















I am not a fan of Prix Fixe mixed menus here in America. I believe it works best in Europe. I believe you should have a choice to choose what you want to eat from the restaurants regular menu. I understand that restaurants are trying to turn tables during the holidays but I find it quite lazy.
I was looking forward to eating at Jean Georges Steakhouse until I saw the menu and my jaw dropped to see the price. $350 per person. Wow!! I have been to many 5 star restaurants with outstanding food and have never paid a fraction of this price.
When the hostess saw my reaction she quickly offered us a choice to try a few things off the menu instead of the entire menu.
So I decided to try the tuna tartare with caviar. To my astonishment it was one of the best tuna tartares I have ever eaten. (My favorite hands down was at G. Garvin restaurant in LA that is no longer around.) The best touch to the the dish was a black pepper chip to scoop up the tuna tartare and caviar.
We also had the Kobe Beef Ribeye. For those that have tried Kobe Beef its very fatty and has a buttery texture. I believed they should have used a filet mignon Kobe Beef instead of a ribeye. Sometimes fat on fat can make you feel nautious. Well at least that happened to our guest and the party next to us. Everyone took a few bites (edges of the steak) and that was it.
This would be the main reason why I am not a fan of Prix Fixe menus because there was only one choice of steak and this was a "Steakhouse".
Another annoying thing was the music. Usually I do not pay much attention but the music was horrendous and put me in a bad mood. I have never been to an establishment and the music turned me off. It was loud and obnoxious to say the least. I don't want to eat caviar and listen to a song of a person screaming classic rock songs that I have never heard. Don't get me wrong I love classic rock but I don't think any of the songs were in the top 40 during its time period.
Will I return..... Not during a recession.

No comments: