Sunday, January 31, 2010

i-cugini brunch- Santa Monica, Ca






Happy Birthday to my little sister Dee Dee. We spent her 15th birthday at I-Cugini in Santa Monica. I-Cugini has one the best brunches in Los Angeles according to the reviews online. I beg to differ.
However, I-cugini does has one of the best views of the ocean and has the best location in Santa Monica.
Unfortunately Dee Dee isn't turning 21 but I enjoyed my mimosas while listening to 94.7 (The wave) live jazz band.
I-cugini brunch consisted of wood fire pizzas, ready to order fresh made pastas, seafood, a chocolate fountain, Prime rib and much, much more!
Here is my opinion.... The Hyatt has the best brunch in all of California. It's more affordable and the food seems to make sense. When I arrived I was excited to be able to eat "All I can eat" Beef carpaccio. Dismally, the beef carpaccio was flavorless. There was no salt or pepper and the ingredients that topped the beef did not make a difference. I dabbled a piece of the salmon and it was extremely dry. I was able to make it edible by adding the pesto sauce on top with lemon.
There was also three seafood pasta dishes brewing and the shrimp and octopus paella was a complete disaster. However, I did enjoy the mussels in marinara sauce.
There is one other thing I enjoyed and that was the ricotta quiche. It was fluffy and light. It melted in your mouth.
The pizzas weren't too bad but I'd give them a 3 out of 5 (the only thing holding me over..lol).
Once the band stopped playing the food became the main focus and I wasn't impressed for $50 per person.
My suggestion is to go to the Hyatt in Westlake Village and enjoy the fresh seafood and classical pianist. Your bill will be about 30% cheaper.

No comments: