Saturday, April 17, 2010

Craft-Tom Colicchio







Craft is now one of my new favorite restaurants in Los Angeles. Craft is located on Avenue of the Stars and Constellation Blvd. In the last few years I have been a huge fan of the show "Top Chef". I have never had any interest in the judges because its all about the contestants and the drama. Tom Colicchio always seems so serious on the show but now I know why. Gosh darnit, whew.... his food is fantastic. I ate so much at his restaurant that my tummy hurt.
After I got home I looked him up on Wikipedia and unbeknownst to me he is a winner of 5 James Beard Foundation Medals. What an accomplishment!
Since my camera isn't working I was able to capture a few on my camera phone but my best friend has the main pictures on his camera. I promise to upload once he sends them to me.

This is what we ordered:

As a starter the chef gave us small shot glasses filled with curry carrot soup with creme fraiche. It was smooth and opened the palate up for more food to come.
Kumamoto oyster- Their oysters were fresh and sweet and had a simple mingnonette sauce.
Gnocchi- This was the only thing on the menu that I tried that I wasn't a huge fan of but it was still made to perfection. I was looking for a more garlicky flavor.
Duck Breast- was brought out in a small cast iron skillet with dates. The skin was nice and crispy and the meat was tender and didn't dry out after it cooled down. I enjoyed it very much as my main course and would recommend this dish if you love duck.
Scalloped Potatoes My best friend had the scalloped potatoes and the were nice and creamy. They were layered perfectly and wasn't overcooked or undercooked. The cheeses that were used were nice and strong which gave it a nice homemade taste to it.
carrot- I couldn't get enough of the carrots. My best friend ordered these as well. I didn't take the time to figure out what they seasoned the carrots with but I think I ate more than half of his order. The were seasoned perfectly and perfectly tender.
braised short ribs-My best friend ordered this as his main course. I only took a few bites but it was spoon tender. They give you the perfect portion. The wine sauce was great and was full of flavor. Since I had short ribs earlier this week, this would had been my first choice.
Spinach bacon salad- This yummy delicious salad caught me by surprise. I never go to a restaurant thinking that their salads are going to blow me away. Well this one did. I'm not sure what kind of bacon they used (maybe pancetta) but it was nice and crispy and had a great smokiness to it. They fried little onions on top. The best surprise is that the had a soft boiled egg that looked like a radish, so the yolk just completed the salad.
Desserts we ordered the Monkey Bread and the Beignets. The Monkey bread was out of this world, full of gooey Carmel and macadamia nuts. The Beignets came with three dipping sauces chocolate, honey and something else. They were nice and airy. It didn't feel like you were eating anything but just tasting it.

Craft also gave us a goody bad with a chocolate brownie with cherries and cookies to go. At that point I couldn't eat anymore.
This place is awesome!! A must go!
It's definitely in my top 3 places to eat in LA.

No comments: