Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ivan Kane's- Cafe Was Hollywood, CA






Ivan Kane's- Cafe Was/Fourty Deuce is located in Hollywood, Ca off Sunset & Vine. I was really excited about going to this restaurant because it has a live jazz band nightly. There's nothing like listening to great music and enjoying good food. Before I went to Cafe Was I read a lot of reviews on *yelp* and I noticed either the diner enjoyed their experience or just hated it.
I'm not sure what to make of my experience. I guess I will break it down so that you can make your own opinion.

Ambiance: A little over the top. I kind of felt like I was at the Rio in Vegas that wants to mimic Mardi Gras in New Orleans except that this restaurant wants to take you back to the 40's. However, it was fun and romantic all at the same time depending on the occasion. The layout was great. Most of the seating focused on the band which was located in the middle of the restaurant.
Service: The service was great. The hostess was able to sit us on the balcony instead of outside. The bartender made our drinks pretty stiff and there was no need to order a second.
Food: It was disappointing. It's suppose to be "French Inspired" or a French Bistro. I don't think heavy food constitutes French Food. I'm not sure who created this menu but I feel like I was eating at the Del Taco of French food. I really wanted to like the food, I promise. For appetizers I ordered the lobster roll and the fried frog legs. The lobster roll was deep fried with potatoes and carrots. I'm not sure if I was eating a chimichanga or a bad egg roll but it was bad. They should rename the roll. I think Chimichanga is a better fit. Most lobster rolls are delicated and light.
The Frog legs had no salt and was served with barbecue sauce. I wasn't feeling it. There was only three little pieces. It was not enough to be an appetizer but more like when a chef gives you a complimentary tasting.
For my main course I ordered the scallop with pork belly. My scallops were cold and the pork belly was pure fat with no meat. The texture just didn't sit well with me.
We also ordered the braised short ribs which was a disaster. First, it was not fork tender. It was dry and tasted like an overcooked brisket. Second, the fried onions on top were over powering and saturated in oil. It tasted like store purchased fried onions in a can. The sauce was really thick. A few months ago I purchased a premade demi-glace and realized when it comes to glazes and sauces you can't really cut corners.
I also ordered a side of macaroni and cheese with truffle oil. Dismally it was blah and I could of made a box of macaroni and cheese and added my own cheese and poured truffle oil on top and got the same thing.
Too bad this place didn't get to third base because at the end of night I ended up going to Jack n the Box. Go figure!!

No comments: