Saturday, April 17, 2010

Jamie's Food Revolution



As you all know Jamie Oliver is one of my favorite "Celebrity Chefs". To be honest when he hosted the show "Naked Chef" over ten years ago he inspired me to use fresh herbs and ingredients in my cooking. I would say he was the start of my "Food Revolution".

I don't know if anyone has had the opportunity to watch Jamie's Food Revolution but I have caught the last two episodes and I have literally been brought to tears just watching the resistance that the people in the town have given him. Now I know that most of it is edited so that it catches a reaction and sparks the attention of the viewer but I honestly believe that these people that participated on the show really did not want change.
I have several friends and family members that have children and I cannot believe how health and fitness has gone down the drain. I remember not having a choice whether or not I wanted to eat my vegetables. My mother never gave us desserts so I never grew accustomed to liking cake, chocolate, candy or sodas. To be honest I could do without it now. However, I don't discount that there are moments when I do enjoy a good dessert when dining at a nice restaurant.
I remember being in middle school and high school and being excited that Taco Bell was going to be an option on campus. Then I realized after the hype had surpassed that it was just as terrible as the cafeteria food.
The sad thing is that there aren't healthy choices or good food to choose from so why not order french fries. At least you're guaranteed that it will always taste the same.
I have also heard that kids are not required to take P.E. I honestly can't wrap my mind around the philosophy. Every time I pass by a High School and I see little girls half my age bigger than me it boggles me. It seems like all these parents do nowadays is just let fast food feed their children and let video games babysit. But who am I to judge.... I don't have children.
So I apologize in advance if I offend anyone.
There's so much information on the Internet on healthy foods that there is no excuse why people don't cook healthy.
I don't claim to be or eat the healthiest food but french fries and pizza is not the answer. Can you believe that these school consider french fries as being a vegetable??? I know that this country is in a recession and education has fallen by the wayside but I encourage everyone to at least donate a little time in their children's health and nutrition.

TAKE ACTION
sign the petition!!!! There's only 345k....SAD PEOPLE!!!!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution/petition

http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution

or text Jamie 22288

No comments: