Thursday, February 20, 2014

Baco Mercat ~ Downtown Los Angeles

Although I'm not a fan of downtown Los Angeles I had a friend coming to visit from Sacramento which drove me to this yummmmmmy place. After reading countless reviews on yelp and seeing Tyler Florence's list on instagram of the top west coast chef's I was destined to check it out.
We arrived around 7:45 p.m. which was 15 minutes past our reservations.  I was a little nervous as the place was packed. The funny thing is when I left at 10:00 p.m. the place was full with people still waiting to get in.
So then I began to judge. All the food appeared to be like hoitee~toitee Los Angeles cuisine and the ladies sitting next to us kept saying the food was delicious.  Of course I'm like sure.... you probably eat tofu and tell me it taste like steak.
My friend on the other hand is a picky eater unbeknownst to me choosing this place. Well..... I'm glad I did!!! I'll admit this was the first time I judged food by its presentation.  We ordered the blistered okra which was cooked to perfection (matter of fact didn't know you could make okra not so slimy and gritty),  the cauliflower,  bacon wrapped chicken (we had to go simple for my friend) and the pork testa with lentils for me. For dessert we had pistachio cream cheese cake and some kind of chocolate peanut butter cake (it was accidentally given to us).
Honestly I'd recommend everything I ordered. Can't wait to go back and order the other items. We ate everything on our plates as if we'd been starved for days. This place is highly recommended. You definitely need reservations in advance. Call.... don't use Open Table to make reservations. 

No comments: