Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sol Y Luna- Tarzana, Ca






Sol y Luna- The Sun and the Moon
Yet another good Mexican restaurant in the Valley. For many years this location was frequented during lunch and dinner hours for me. It was nice to return and know that the food here is pretty consistent. Yummy margaritas, great chips and salsa and a cool atmosphere.
I was able to stop in for lunch in between meetings and try their sopa de albondigas for the first time. It was pretty comforting however, it was 98 degrees outside and probably wasn't the best thing to eat when you are wearing a turtle neck sweater and wool pants. (Hey, it was cold when I left the house in the morning)
I haven't attempted to make sopa de albondigas but the ones I have tasted in the past seem to have more of a red tomato base broth. Either way, they both are good.
I also ordered the Salpicon Tostada which is a very delicious savory salad. A few years back I invited my friend Sam from Atlanta and he enjoyed this salad very much. He was quite surprised that a salad could be so delicious. It has an olive oil vinegar based dressing with cotija cheese, grilled chicken or shrimp, avocado, refried beans, shredded lettuce, two tostada chips and crema.
I took pictures of the people sitting next to me. I asked the waiter what they were eating. The dish is called Especialidad de la casa. It has grilled steak, chicken and shrimp with cactus leaf, pablano peppers served with a molcajete sauce.
This is definitely on my list to try next. Next time I will have to bring someone with me because its for two unless I bring my appetite with me.

No comments: