Monday, October 5, 2009

Gourmet Magazine closes its doors after 69 years




I am saddened to hear that November will be the last issue for Gourmet magazine.

In an e-mail obtained by Gawker, Conde Nast CEO Chuck Townsend said Gourmet will live on through television and books. "Gourmet magazine will cease monthly publication, but we will remain committed to the brand, retaining Gourmet's book publishing and television programming, and Gourmet recipes on Epicurious.com," he wrote. "We will concentrate our publishing activities in the epicurean category on Bon Appétit."
It is rumored that the employees that work at the magazine are all now packing and have to leave their office by the end of the month. I know the financial news media has said we are starting to get out of the recession. I don't know....when something like this happens to the culinary world, its just devasting.

Whenever I am traveling I always make it a point to pick up a Gourmet Magazine. Instead of reading Gossip magazines I enjoy reading recipes that give me an inspiration to go home and cook. I really hope Bon Appetit steps it up. The last Bon Appetit magazine I purchased was full of adds and nothing really interesting in it.

No comments: