Sunday, October 4, 2009

California Avocado Festival- Carpinteria, Ca



Jasmine's Kitchen attends 23rd Annual California Avocado Festival in Carpinteria, Ca.


The Avocado has always been one of my favorite fruits. My neighbor next door planted an avocado tree in their backyard and as a child my mother would pick the fruit and make salads. We would often make an avocado salad with salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil.
The Avocado were known to the Aztecs as the "Fertility Fruit". Many have said that this fruit is a natural aphrodisiac and that it contains a lot good vitamins such as A & E. The good fat that our bodies need!


The awesome thing about this festival is that it is free unless you decide to park and ride the trolley which will set you back $10. On this tasty travel I tried the Avocado Ice-cream from Cold Stone Creamery. Unfortunately, it had freezer burn but it was creamy and had a light avocado flavor. I tried the avocado shrimp cocktail which had potential but it was unseasoned. They offered salt, pepper and tapatio on the side but I don't think you should have to flavor your own food. I also ate from the largest vat of guacamole in the world, but it could have used the largest salt shaker in the world. After the three experiences I decided to go to "Tacos to go Beach Liquor" which was located on the same street as the festival. My gut feeling was right because the taco was made just right and it had perfect guacamole and salsa.
I was really expecting more from the Avocado Festival but I appreciate that they are celebrating an uncommon fruit. I was looking forward to eating avocados in ways that I have never imagined. It might as well had been the guacamole festival.

No comments: