Sunday, December 6, 2009

Santa Barbara Shellfish Co.






After a long exhausting weekend of frying turkeys, I took a stroll down to Santa Barbara and let someone cook for me. Santa Barbara Shellfish Co. has been my ace in a hole for the past 7 years. I passed up Brunch at Bella's because it was $75 per person. Ummm.... I like caviar and all but I can't splurge like that during the recession/depression.
Santa Barbara Shellfish Co. is a charming restaurant that has been around for 25 years and is located on Santa Barbara's Stearns Wharf. If you are looking for tables to eat at, you won't get it here unless you eat outside. Indoor seating is all bar-esque. I believe it seats no more than 15 people at a time indoors.
When I first ventured to this place seven years ago alone it was perfect, I didn't look like the loner eating all by myself. :-) Instead I blended in with the crowd of anxious hungry eaters. Every time I go I always meet very nice people to chat with.
Note: Be prepared to get your hands dirty.
You can never go wrong eating here. I have tried many restaurants in Santa Barbara and by far this is my favorite. Whether you order dungeness crab (MY FAVORITE CRAB) or rock crab they always steam it to perfection. The crab is always sweet and never dry. All the crab and lobster are fresh from the aquarium. I always get the special with Caesar salad and clam chowder or lobster bisque. This time I ordered the lobster bisque and was not disappointed at all. A touch of fresh parsley goes a long way.
Before I eat any crab I always make my own dipping concoction which is
melted butter, lemon, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Then, I am ready to crack away!! I also finish it with a cold corona with lime and salt. Yummm!

This place has always had my seal of approval. It's priced moderately and you always leave satisfied.

No comments: