Sunday, December 6, 2009

Shabu Shabu House- Downtown LA








Shabu Shabu

Shabu Shabu House is located in Little Japan Downtown, LA.

The first time I had Shabu Shabu was in San Francisco 10 years ago with my high school/college boyfriend and we had no clue what we were eating or doing. Since then I have been to several Shabu Shabu restaurants and have become a lot better at mastering the ultimate shabu shabu bite.
For those that are curious about Shabu Shabu, Shabu Shabu is a dish prepared by submerging a very thin slice of beef into boiling water or dashi. You place your vegetables and meat in the boiling water or dashi for as little as 30 seconds depending how you like to eat your vegetables or meat and then dip into the dipping sauces. The dipping sauces that we had at Shabu Shabu were a peanut sauce and Shabu Shabu’s original ponzu sauce. I added soy sauce, green onion and fresh garlic to my dashi to give it more flavor. After I swished my meats around and boiled my vegetables I topped it with more fresh garlic and green onions after dipping it in both sauces.
I had so much fun that evening. I had no problem waiting 45 minutes for my seat. It only made my mouth water more as I watched everyone eat. LOL
Reservations are not taken over the phone.
There are only two options on the menu which is located on a piece of paper on the wall, A or B (small or large) 10 pieces of sliced beef or 16 slices.
As you all know…. I took the large.

No comments: