Sunday, December 27, 2009

Hog Island Oyster Farm- Tomales Bay, Ca



About a year ago I was watching a special on Hog Island Oyster Farm and knew that this was definitely a place I wanted to go. Hog Island Oyster Farm is located 40 miles past San Francisco on Tomales Bay. Tomales Bay is absolutely breath taking and a very romantic place to be. There are a few vineyards along the path and b&b's. If you are bike rider (cyclist) this is the perfect bike path for windy roads and big hills.
I had never heard of an oyster farm let alone one being so close to home in California. How could I pass up the opportunity to see what this place had to offer.

Looking back, I wish I was a little more prepared because I didn't know what to expect.
At Hog Island Oyster you can purchase a small, medium or large amount of oysters.I ordered two dozen kumamoto oysters which is a very small, sweet, fruity and buttery tasting oyster. I don't think you should add extra ingredients to this oyster because it taste great all by itself.
The Kumamoto oyster is originally from Kyushu, Japan. The Kumamoto Oyster takes three years to develop. I also ordered a half dozen of the Sweetwater Oyster which was larger in size but had a more seafood flavor and needed a little extra ingredients. I'd suggest bbqing the larger oysters.
At Hog Island Oyster Co. you're are provided with shucking tools and a few basic ingredients such as lemon and hot sauce. If you decide to fully utilize the picnic area BBQ pits are available. This place was the perfect family outing. Most of the families there brought their own BBQ supplies as well as other foods to BBQ.
One of the couples had champagne. Champagne and oysters would had been perfect! I just sat there in awe wishing I would had brought more things like my very own Mignonette sauce or fresh horseradish. I even saw some people grilling dungeness crab. I am hoping that the next time my family visits we can all go picnic here. I was told in the summer time you must call a few weeks in advance to reserve. I can only imagine how busy it gets during the warmer days.
What a beautiful place and nice place to visit after Christmas!!

No comments: