Monday, September 7, 2009

Guantanamera- Cuban Food in Burbank






Who doesn't like listening to live music while eating some of the best Cuban Food on the west coast. Guantanamera Restaurant is located in Burbank close to the 5 freeway. My friend Steve M who is from Cuba recommended this place to me a few years ago and I have been a fan ever since.
Last Friday I was able to go with Steve and a special group of friends for a birthday party. I definitely could not pass this party up since there were a lot things on the menu that I have never tried. I left the ordering up to my friend since I usually order the same thing every time, oxtails. For those of you that do not know what "Oxtails" are, its the tail of a beef animal often slow cooked, braised or stewed. Guantanamera's oxtails are slowed cook with Cuban spices served with black beans and plantains.
Cuba is the birthplace of the "Mojito" and that is exactly what we ordered! YUMMMMMZZZ.
We ordered several dishes on the menu; pulled pork slow cooked in cuban spices, Camarones (shrimp) garlic, beef and potato empanadas, rice, beans and plantains. I'm always impressed on how sweet their plantains are...they are always perfect! Other Cuban restaurants that I have visited in the past don't pay special attention. Ripeness is a key factor.
If you are on a budget and looking for an inexpensive date night I highly recommend this restaurant.

This place gets a thumbs up with a twist and a snap!

No comments: